Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dear Dad

By the time you get this Veteran’s Day will have passed. I am not too timely getting letters away. I want to tell you that as your son I have always been proud of the service you gave. Going to Vietnam twice was something not every person in the military did. I know you always tell us certain stories and only those stories of what you did there. I’m sure it was a bit rougher than you describe but in any case a war zone is still a war zone and I’m glad you were one of those that returned safe.

John thinks about you too but does not express himself in this manner too much. I think he takes after me in this regard. I am not too much on the sentiment side of things either. He’s doing pretty well but it could be better. I know he gets jealous of his brother when he sees all the activity he does with school and his friends. But it boils down to his choices he makes. Just like the rest of us, we live by what choices we make and the outcome of them.

I do try to call at least twice a month but since the last time we spoke it seems like you have decided not to take my calls. I remember you saying something about Nick’s college money to me like I wanted it. That is simply not the case. I want nothing to do with it and never have. Nick wasn’t comfortable at the time to ask for it and he needed to start paying for some things early. He has changed quite a bit since living on campus. And I think those changes have been good for him. He also could not have made that choice without the funds you saved for him. That money made it possible for him to live on campus for the first year. I’m not sure if he will have enough for next year so we are potentially planning on moving closer to the school which also gets both of us closer to work too.

Last May I was awarded a promotion to Systems Administrator for the entire Library District. I oversee all the servers in the district and it is quite a task. I like it though since the responsibility is greater and the job is more flexible. Only drawback was it was not a huge increase in pay. Only about 5k a year increase. But at this point an increase is an increase and I’m happy to have a stable job. On the 16th I am out of the probationary period for promotions and with only one of me it makes me a pretty valuable person so they are not likely to replace me anytime soon.

Well that’s about it for now. I hope you are well and I hope to hear from you sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment