Thursday, May 14, 2009

Afraid of Death?

The afternoon sun was still burning hot right into my eyes as I walked the dog. I had not walked her for quite awhile because when I do my back starts to hurt. The pain can be very intense after a twenty minute walk. Why or how my thoughts turned to death I'll never know. But they did and I will try to re-create them here. I believe in the here-after but not necessarily the Christian definition per say but definitely a spiritual world. And believing this I am not afraid to die. I would no longer be in pain. I would no longer have a foot that is numb. I would no linger be fat for a spirit has no mass. Is this something to be afraid of? Will I cry on my death-bed? I will for those I leave behind as I know they will experience a pin that no medicine will numb. I do have feelings, deep feelings that surface in agony when a friend or loved one passes away but still no fear, no anguish and no worries of my own demise. I write today knowing that at age forty-eight my life is more than half over and I will welcome my death whenever it finds me. As told in Kurt Vonnegut's book Slaughterhouse Five,
"So it goes."

"So it goes."

No comments:

Post a Comment