Friday, July 8, 2011

An Old Goal Complete

Going back to 1999 I embarked on a path to become a Systems Administrator. I accomplished the study part of the goal and earned a Microsoft title of MCSE or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. This however did not do much to get me a job. I came close to a couple of jobs but was surely passed for the more experienced people.

Precisely one month prior to receiving my certification in the year 2000, Nasdaq crashed and the 'dot com boom' was destroyed. People like me who had been employed were now out of work and competing for the same jobs. And there were not many jobs for these skills. The jobs that survived required multiple skills and that was simply something I was not yet ready for.

I worked for the next year in tech support arenas for small wages. Never finding the satisfaction of having a real career in technology. Soon it was 2001 and we all know what happened on 9/11/01. I lost my job six days later. This would not be a good year for me with employment.

Living in Salt Lake City at the time did open a new door and I stepped right into a new career path, airport security. The Olympics were coming in 2002 and SLC International Airport was a ripe place to work. I eventually found my way into TSA and with TSA eventually to Arizona.

It is here in Arizona after having a goal more than a decade old and I admit long forgotten, I finally achieved this goal. I am now a Systems Administrator for Maricopa County Library District.

I now believe the saying I have read and heard many times before, if I may paraphrase, 'What the mind believes, the man can achieve'.

No comments:

Post a Comment