Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Constant Companion

Every day of my life I can count on with the utmost certainty, my constant companion pain. I go to bed with pain and I wake in the morning with pain. Most days my hands feel like a hammer has hit my knuckles, my neck is stiff, my foot tingles with a numbing feeling that borders pain and tingling and my back, the crown jewel of my chronic pain. Pain as we know is our bodies way of alerting us that something is wrong with our body. It helps us remember where that bedpost is in the dark. Some of us learn at an early age just what electricity is and where it comes from. I have had my share of mishaps in my life and have been able to experience all sorts of pain. From the cement of a driveway to baseballs hitting me in the head, the usual assortment of cuts and bruises, to a couple of broken bones, even a broken heart, pain has always found its way to be with me as a nurturer and foe. I'm not trying to make this a woe me post but to raise awareness that people live with pain everyday, many I'm sure worse off than I. I live in its shadow, I carry its weight, day after day. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I do not see the light but I am continue moving through the tunnel we call our lives. Maybe the light will appear, around the next bend perhaps. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment