Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dad You Have A Face

One of my best moments of fatherhood came when traveling down a winding road on the way to my Dad's place. Donna and I worked separate shifts in order to care for John who was just about three then. I would drop John off at Dad's and Donna would pick him up about an hour or so later. On that day John was next to me on the truck seat in his car seat and as I drove down the winding tree lined road with the sun popping out from amongst the patches between leaves, John suddenly looked up at me and said rather excitedly, "Dad you have a face!" It was so funny because I had had a beard for quite a bit of his short life but had shaved it all off at least two days prior to that day. So for two days he hadn't noticed but riding in the truck it struck him. This still brings a smile to my face today. Back then we were real buddies, cheeseburger buddies in fact. We still are but it is very different now that more than twenty years have past.

No comments:

Post a Comment