Thursday, September 15, 2011

Big Brother Influences

Some of my memories are black and gone as I have stated in these pages before. But there are still a few memories. Tonight I clicked on a Facebook link about one of the "On this day..." kind of link about the Doors. The link went to You Tube and for the next twenty minutes I found myself drifting back to the late sixties riding on memory lane.

Memory lane in that era was 1104 S. 27th St. Yes I can remember our house number but not other details of those days. Go figure. The mind is incredibly diverse. But it wasn't the music I remembered so much, after all I have listened to it many hundreds of times since then, rather how I shared the bedroom with my older brother Doug.

Doug was in High School at the time and the era of rock n roll was in full swing. He had a small but terrific collection of albums. The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and the Experience, Cream and others I can't recall. But it is of these three I think really formed an impression on my musical tastes for years to come.

Eric Clapton remains on the top of my list as one of the all time greatest guitarist and to what realm could Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison have taken music had their lives continued. The world is extremely lucky to have been graced by their combined works.

I was but a fly on the wall that watched and observed. Soaking in the vibrations of the late '60's. Thanks Doug for exposing me to the works of these great artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment